One of the staples of my Hashimoto's-fighting diet is bone broth. It's really easy to make and incredibly good for you. I make a big batch and then use it as soup stock and thereby trick my kids into eating it. *EVIL LAUGH* Bone broth is really good for people with auto immune disorders because it heals the gut. And apparently there is a big gut/auto immune connection. I won't go into it here because other people, like PaleoMom, have already said it much better than I ever could. But suffice it to say, healing the gut is important when you have chronic health issues like I do. And apparently bone broth is good for the immune system in general. The minerals in it have been shown to inhibit infection, fight inflammation and promote healthy nail and hair growth. You know what they say about grandmas chicken soup? It's basically the cure for everything. And now you can make your own!
Here's how you make the bone broth:
- Take a chicken carcass (a little gross, I know) and pull off all (or most) of the meat and skin and put the bones in the slow cooker. I usually make broth the night I roast a whole chicken so once we're done eating I can just toss the bones in the crock pot. Easy peasy. You can also use chicken backs. Ask your butcher for them. They're super cheap, like a couple of dollars. I usually use 2 or 3.
- Toss in a two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add enough water to cover the carcass. If you want to be super conscientious you can use filtered water.
- Set your cooker on high for 8 hours and voila!
- When it's done, strain it to get all the bones and big chunks out.
- Let it cool down a little. It's wicked hot when it's first done.
- Then you can freeze it or put it in the fridge (only for a few days). I like to break it up into small batches when I freeze it so I can just pull enough out to heat up as a soup stock or drink like tea. (Add salt and pepper to taste if you're drinking it straight or else it's kinda yuck.)
- Then sit back and let your gut heal baby, heal. Actually, I have no idea if it really works because I'm not a doctor, but I will say I feel a lot better when I regularly drink the broth. And I'm willing to try anything to stay healthy!