I love to read. Love, love, love to read. It’s one thing that I did not let motherhood rip away from me. I read every night before bed and thanks to my insomnia, I have plenty of time to crack open a book and slip away into the world of words.
I was looking for a great book to read the other day, so I decided to ask you all what your favorite books of all time are. I posted on Facebook and got so many awesome responses, I had to share! There were hundreds of suggestions from fiction to memoir to sci fi to nonfiction to thrillers to young adult … everything! Memoir and personal essay happens to be one of my favorite genres, so I plucked out all of those suggestions to share with you. So here you go, the MyLifeSuckers community picks for best personal essay/memoir books!
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
- Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
- Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris by David Sedaris
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
- A Child Called It: One Child’s Courage to Survive by David Pelzer
- The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank by Erma Bombeck
- Bossypants by Tina Fey
- The Tender Bar: A Memoir by JR Moehringer
- A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius: A Memoir Based on a True Story by Dave Eggers
- Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
- People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges by Jen Mann
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
- A Primate’s Memoir: A Neuroscientist’s Unconventional Life Among the Baboons by Robert M. Sapolsky
- The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir by Bill Bryson
- A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
- Hobbytots for Hawnyawks by Victoria George
- A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana by Haven Kimmel
- Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way by Shauna Niequist
- A Piece of Cake: A Memoir by Cupcake Brown
- Peanut Butter and Naan: Stories of an American Mom in the Far East by Jennifer Hillman-Magnuson
- A House in the Sky: A Memoir by Amanda Lindhout
- First Person Plural: My Life As a Multiple by Cameron West
- Naked by David Sedaris
And speaking of great books, I’m giving away 3 copies of Jen Magnusson’s memoir Peanut Butter and Naan: Stories of an American Mom in the Far East and 3 copies of Jen Mann’s hilarious book of essays People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and Other Suburban Scourges to 3 lucky winners. Enter to win below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Subscribe to my YouTube channel!